Back to Banking & Finance Overview

Enforcing Foreign Judgments

If you have obtained a judgment outside the state of Georgia against an individual or business with assets located in Georgia, Fortson, Bentley & Griffin’s banking and finance attorneys can assist you in enforcing it. Judgment creditors are often able to register foreign judgments under the Uniform Enforcement of Foreign Judgments Act, which has been codified at O.C.G.A. §§ 9-12-130 through 138. Depending, however, on the state in which the judgment was obtained, and the type of judgment that was rendered by the court, creditors are sometimes required to instead file domestication suits. FB&G’s banking and finance attorneys have assisted clients from states throughout the country in enforcing their foreign judgments. Whatever procedure the law may require as to your foreign judgment, FB&G’s banking and finance attorneys will do what is necessary to see that it becomes enforceable in Georgia. They can also assist you in collecting the judgment, and, if necessary, placing liens upon the judgment debtor’s assets in Georgia.

If you are in need of assistance with a foreign judgment, please contact us online or by telephone at 706-548-1151 to speak with one of our experienced banking and finance attorneys.